Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The beginning...

I started my day yesterday with an 18 mile run.  I got up early on one of the few days I could have slept in and went out for a three hour 'beat-the-heat' race.  With much of the country in an ugly drought/heatwave, long runs or rides have to start really early.  Thanks goodness for random port-a-potties (I really have no idea why it was there, but it was there, it was clean and it was pink!), water fountains in parks at the halfway mark, and a gps watch to keep track of the whole darn thing.

Later in the day, someone called my run a 'hermitage.'  Loosely defined, a hermitage is a place where someone goes to be quiet, clear their mind and be with their thoughts.  Yeah, that's about right.  One thing I thought about is putting down the lessons I've learned over the last several years about endurance sports.  So...  Enter the blog.  My goal is to start documenting the nutrition, hydration, physical training, and other lessons I've learned mixed in with motherhood, random observations about just anything, and appreciation for the people who have helped me to get where I am today.

So, for my random observation of the day:  I was watching the birds yesterday during my run.  And I realized that there is a point, right after sunrise, where the morning sunlight catches the wings of vultures and makes them looks like eagles.  Frequently these birds are called ugly, but in the early morning light, they resembled their majestic cousins. It was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment